About this image
Top row (L-R): Grace Orvice, Gladys Allsop, unknown, Marion Glasby, Millicent Morris.
Other people in the picture are: Jeannie Bakewell, Christine Rice, Norma Kitchen, ? Lowde, ? Turner, ? Hicks, ? Scorer. Eric Varley.
Close to the town of Bolsover and the village of Carr Vale lies the village of New Bolsover or 'the Model Village' which was created by the paternalistic Bolsover colliery company in the 1890's to house the colliery workforce (the newly opened Creswell pit). The plans were created by Percy Houghton and Emerson Muschamp Bainbridge the chairman of the company in 1888 and revised by Sir Richard Webster. Building work commenced in 1891 and by late 1892 fifty of the two hundred houses were occupied. Included in the design of the village were a miners institute, school, co-operative store, orphanage for children of fathers killed in the employ of the company, allotment gardens, Methodist and Anglican churches and a large assembly hall and a bandstand on the village green. The experiment led to the building of the larger Creswell 'Model Village' in 1901 and the creation of Forest Town near to Mansfield Woodhouse. Everybody who lived on the Model worked at the pit, there was no unemployment. The National Coal Board handed the land back to Welbeck Estates in early 1980s although it was still a mining estate and stayed that way until the mid 1980s.