About this image
This is a view of the Conduit House following it's removal to it's new position in January 1931. The following is part of an article which appeared in the Bolsover Advertiser around September-October 1983. During 1930, Bolsover Urban District Council widened and surfaced New Station Road, which until then was very rough and stony with rainwater channels and loose chippings on the surface. The footpath was formed with wooden railway sleepers, each laying end to end from the Bainbridge Hall property to where the road joins Langwith Road. The surface of the footpath was constantly surfaced with boiler ashes. The conduit house (locally called a watch tower) was situated partly on the steep crag side on the left of the road, permission to move it being required from the Duke of Portland (the then owner of the Conduit House, as part of his property, Bolsover Castle). The aim was to move it across to the right hand side of the road onto a newly made plinth which formed part of a retaining wall built to hold up the extra infilling for the wider road. The crags to the left were dug away to help widen the road, then supported with a magnesium limestone retaining wall. The whole contract was performed by Mr Schilling of Limekiln Fields, Bolsover, and finished by January 1931. Much of the labour used was taken from the ranks of the unemployed. The Duke of Portland visited the scene several times to inspect the conduit house and ensure that it wasn't damaged.