This image can be used commercially
Pinxton Wharf from Alexander Terrace, Pinxton, c 1980s-90s
About this image
Pinxton Wharf, showing part of the Midland Railway and the Erewash Social Club in the top right of the photograph. The wharf was the terminus for the canal, which was built to link the collieries to the river Trent, and is very important to the area's heritage. Coal was mined on a small scale in Pinxton since Tudor times. With the arrival of a branch of the Cromford Canal in the 1790's a localised industrial revolution began. Within a decade or so of the canal's arrival several deep coal pits, four lime kilns and a china works were in operation near to the Wharf. The whole of the Cromford Canal, except for a 1/2 mile stretch at the southern end, was officially abandoned, and fell into disrepair. In the background, the Sleights East Signal Box and level crossing are visible. The Midland Railway line built a track from Pinxton Wharf to Mansfield in the early 19th century. It was horse drawn until 1849 when it became linked to the Erewash Valley railway.
Also shown is York Terrace - the row of houses top left. These 10 houses were named after the Duke of York and built for National Coal Board employees.