About this image
The Crescent was built between 1780 and 1784 by John Carr of York, for the 5th Duke of Devonshire. The Duke paid £120000 (paid from profits of the Duke's copper mine at Ecton). The building contains a fine Adam style Assembly Room, beautifully restored by Derbyshire County Council, with the original chandeliers in position. It is now used as a study library.