About this image
The Spa development began in Buxton in 1779, when the 5th Duke of Devonshire planned to create a second Bath. The Pump Room, situated opposite the Georgian Crescent, was built in 1894 by Henry Currey, who also constructed the Thermal and Natural Baths in the town. The two domes on the pavilions were removed in 1937. It was opened by the Duke of Devonshire In June 1894, see DCBM100710.