About this image
The Natural Baths form an integral part of Buxton's history, having been there in some form for at least 2000 years. Spa treatment ceased at the baths in the early 1950's, and from then until 1972 the baths were used as the town's swimming pool, being replaced by the new pool in the Pavilion Gardens. Since that time the baths have been lying empty and neglected. The Buxton Mineral Water Company has covered The Spring and diverted the water to its bottling plant, this can be seen through a glass doorway in the information centre. There is evidence of a large Roman bath discovered by John Carr during construction of the Crescent and this is buried under the south west corner adjacent to the Natural Baths. In 1975 a deposit of Roman votive coins was found over the site of the Spring in the Natural Baths. In 1573 the Earl of Shrewsbury built the first proper accommodation over The Spring (now the site of the Old Hall Hotel). Mary, Queen of Scots, made a number of visits between 1573 and 1584 to 'take the cure' during her captivity. In 1994 The Trent and Peak Archaeological Trust were asked by High Peak Borough Council to carry out an assessment of the Natural Baths. Part of the report reads 'The Roman Layout: The general trend of the evidence suggests that the Roman site may have consisted of a temple overlooking a set of Roman baths...which mirrors that at Bath. Each complex, of which well preserved elements appear to survive, charts different approaches to questions of health, religion and capital expenditure' The report suggests that the baths could be made a 'Scheduled Ancient Monument' (site of national importance).....'More work is needed to define the extent and condition of all the remains but it would seem that there is a prima facie case for considering that the remains in the development area are of schedulable quality'. (Information courtesy of 'The Natural Baths, Buxton' by Brian George).