This image can be used commercially
General scene showing people at leisure sitting by the Pavilions, Pavilion Gardens, Buxton
The Board Collection
About this image
The Pavilion Gardens, which were built by Edward Milner in 1871, lie behind the attractive Opera House (by Frank Matcham in 1903) in Buxton with the River Wye winding through the park. Milner worked as Paxton's assistant for the erection of the Crystal Palace in London, and the design of the gardens is possibly based on his work here. Indeed, Pevsner believes that the Serpentine Walks were laid out by Paxton himself. The gardens were enlarged in 1875 with the octagonal Concert Hall/ballroom by R R Duke.