This image cannot be used commercially
Railtour at Heanor South station, Heanor, 1951
16 June 1951
About this image
Ex-Great Northern Railway Class C12 4-4-2T 67363 at the closed Heanor South (earlier Heanor for Smalley) station with a Railway Correspondence & Travel Society (East Midlands Branch) railtour. This started from Nottingham Victoria station, arriving at Heanor at 4.20pm, returning to Victoria for 5.35pm.
Heanor for Smalley station was terminus of the short Great Northern Railway branch line from Stanton Junction, Ilkeston. Opened for passenger traffic on 1 July 1891, regular passenger services ceased in 1928 but a limited service for workmen continued up to 1939. The branch closed to goods traffic in 1963.
Picture the Past is grateful to website contributor Brian Yeomans and the website http://heanorshipleyrailway.webs.com for some of the information above.