This image can be used commercially
River Derwent Bridge and Weir, Belper, c 1930
W A Morley
About this image
Jedediah Strutt's first two Belper Mills, the south and north, were powered by his first simple weir, which was near the present rail bridge. For the west mill, more power was needed. The present horse shoe weir dates from around 1796, with enlargements in 1819 and 1843. It is one of the Eighteenth Centuries greatest engineering constructions.
Valentine's postcard reference: G2522.