This image can be used commercially
Boys of Smalley Boys School
About this image
In 1610 the Richardson family bought the Smalley Farm Estate, with coal workings under the local clay. In the 18th century the brothers founded a colliers' charity which benefitted the village miners and also endowed a free school for twelve poor boys which was built in 1721.