About this image
The Sherwood Foresters are the regiment of the Counties of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. Its men in the main were recruited from these two counties and this again helped make them into one of the nations most famous Regiments. (The Sherwood Foresters amalgamated with the Worcestershire Regiment in February 1970 to form The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters regiment.) The War Memorial Tower was built in 1923 by money raised through public subscription within the Counties of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. It was originally erected in memory of 11,409 men of the Sherwood Foresters who died during the first World War. A subsequent dedication was made to commemorate the 1,520 men who gave their lives in the Second World War and subsequent conflicts up to 1970. In that year the Sherwood Foresters were amalgamated with the Worcestershire Regiment and the Memorial has been additionally dedicated to include those of the new Regiment killed in service. It is therefore a very present Memorial and there is an annual pilgrimage on the First Sunday in July which Old Comrades and Civic/ Ecclesiastical Dignitaries attend. Since construction, the financial responsibility for the maintenance of the Tower, its surrounding grounds and a Warden's cottage has been borne by the Regiment. The requirements have been met primarily by Regimental Funds, appeals within the Regiment and external donations. The Regiment is now finding it difficult alone to meet the annual running charges, essential maintenance costs and fund enhancements to improve facilities. The Grade II listed building is a light house tower with operating flashing beacon, built near the site upon which earlier stone towers had been constructed in 1788 and 1851. It stands 1000 feet above sea level and consists of the tower with internal stair and supporting platform with railing surround. It is constructed of concrete and local grit and sandstone. The surrounding grounds which border a quarry cliff on the Western and Northern perimeters are maintained so as to provide a suitably compatible and pleasant setting for visitors to the site. Within the grounds are some smaller memorials to past members of the Regiment and commemorative seating. Picnic, Tea Room, Car Parking and Toilet facilities are provided adjacent to the grounds.