About this image
There have been four 'stands'. The first was made of wood, and used for signalling when blasting in the quarry. It was replaced in 1788 by a conical stone tower. In 1851 this was superseded by the structure shown in this picture. The present stand, the Regimental War Memorial of the Sherwood Foresters, was opened in 1923. The hill on which it is set has been used as a signalling point for centuries - including during the Spanish Armada in the 16th Century, and is often used as a site for celebratory beacons to this day.