This image can be used commercially
Presbyterian Meeting House - demolition work, Wirksworth Road, Duffield, 2001
About this image
Now the site of a two storey block of flats which were completed in early 2002. The meeting house is also known as 'The Chapel'. It was built in c. 1790. The Presbyterians are a Protestant church organisation . The congregation became Unitarians before 1835 and the Chapel closed in c. 1860. The Chapel became a school in the 1870's for infants up to 6 years old. Average attendance reached 84. The school closed in 1895 when the infants school was built in King Street. Since then the building has had numerous uses. In 1922, permission was given for use as a cinema, dance studio, meeting room for the 'Young Men's Christian Association', Church Lad's Brigade and Women's Institute, all at different times. The Temperance Society and Duffield Chess Club have all used it too. In 1964, it became the premises for Abbeydale China Company, up until the 1970s. Until 1988, it was used as an engineering workshop. It then stood unused until it was demolished. The library is situated next door. Completely demolished. The houses shown are at the Town Street end of Wirksworth Road.