This image can be used commercially
Reopening of Lime Tree Avenue, Clumber Park, 1955
From collection of F H Brindley
Brindley, F H (Sheffield News Pictures, 973 Abbeydale Road, Millhouses)
About this image
The photographer's original caption for this view reads:
'Snap today. Famous Lime Tree Avenue, reopened again for Easter. Owing to absence of Papers few Motorists attended the reopening after War of Dukeries best Avenue of Limes. Many miles long after Tons of Bombs were removed.'
The Lime Tree Avenue at Clumber Park is the longest of its kind in Europe. Planted in 1840, it is actually 'only' 2 miles long (rather than 'many') and features 1,296 common limes. During World War Two (and seemingly afterwards) the trees provided useful cover for open-air storage of munitions and the Avenue was lined with hundreds of corrugated iron ammunition stores, each one housing 400cu ft of shells, ammunition and weapons, including naval shells over 3ft high.
The car in this view was originally believed to be a Vauxhall Wyvern, however website contributor Paul Simpson confirms that it is in fact a Vauxhall Velox. This one - JFW 256 - was registered by Lincolnshire County Council in 1952.
Additional information very kindly supplied by Berisford Jones.