This was the first Midland Railway Station viewed from Station Street with footbridge over the canal to the centre and Carrington Street bridge left of centre. St. Mary's can be seen to the right and the castle is in the distance to the left. The station was replaced by a new (the current) Midland Station in Carrington Street in 1904.
The station opened in May 1848 and shows the spare ground between the station and the canal on which a cricket match is being played, the cricketers in lop-hats and white shirts - the original costume for the game.
The single span of Carrington bridge opened in 1844, the footbridge also shown, leads from Sussex Street and Trent Street, crossing the canal just opposite the portion of the station.
The field is divded from the roadway by a fence of posts and this is now occupied by buildings on the north side of Station Street.