Showing an elevation of County Hall as it appeared in the year 1741 and taken from 'Stretton Manuscripts'.
The information along the bottom describes parts of the building. From left to right they read:
A: The ancient hall
a: The place where formerly the door was.
b: The window against which the Judge of the Nisi Prius, Bar [: (nee-see pree-us) adj. Latin for 'unless first,' in some jurisdictions it means the original trial court which heard a case as distinguished from a court of appeals, as in court nisi prius. 'Court of original jurisdiction' is often substituted for the term nisi prius. Found on http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?] sits with his back.
c: The Passage under the Hall leading into the Gaol.
d: The door by which the Judges of late enter into the Hall.
B: The additional Hall built in the year 1618 by the contribution of the Justices of the County of Nottingham, now not used.
Thomas Sandby was born in Nottingham in 1721, four years before the birth of his younger brother Paul - both grew up to be famous successful artists. Thomas settled as an architectural designer and draughtsman, attached to his Royal Patron at Windsor. His works show evidence of great talent but his occupation left him little time to produce many.
In 1995 the Grade II listed Shire Hall was converted into the National Museum of Law and the Galleries of Justice.