The Goose Fair was originally held in the Market Place in Nottingham for 8 days of October, reduced to five days in 1876. It was first mentioned in the Nottingham Borough Records of 1541, though it was probably in existence much earlier than this. The fair grew and gradually spread to other streets around the Market and, with the growth of traffic, there were complaints about congestion and disruption in the city. In 1928 the Goose Fair was moved to the Forest Recreation Ground, about a mile north of the Old Market Square, where it is still held today.
Postcard reference is: Rex Series 1828.