Designed by Sir Jeffry Wyatville (sometimes also described as Wyatt) and built 1823-5 'based on the form of an Elizabethan gatehouse with a turreted round tower at each corner and costing between six and seven thousand pounds.
There is a judicious amount of strapwork decoration in the panels and parapet crestings, while the turrets and stone balustrades obviously echo those on the central tower of the house, and the clerestory windows in the Great Hall were the model for the central archway.' From 'Sir Jeffry Wyatville architect to the King' by Derek Linstrum.
The Lodge became separated from Wollaton Park in the 1920s by housing to its rear, and the canal was closed in 1937.
Thomas William Hammond 1854-1935. Born in Philadelphia of Nottingham emigres, and orphaned at the age of four, he came to England with his younger sister Maria and lived for a short while with his grandparents in Mount Street. In 1868 age 14 he enrolled in the Government School of Art. On the 1871 census he is described as a lace curtain designer, and in 1872 he was awarded the 'Queen's Prize for a Design of a Lace Curtain'. Other prizes followed and in 1877 he was again awarded the Queen's Prize, this time for the design for a damask table Cloth.
Hammond was an indefatigable worker, and soon began to use his skills as a draftsman to record aspects of the changing town. He began showing his work at local venues in 1882 and in 1890 exhibited for the first time at the Royal academy. His real hobby was black and white sketching in charcoal. He drew about 350 pictures all together mainly scenes of a Nottingham he knew but which has largely passed away today.
Extracted from 'The Changing Face of Tom Hammond's Nottingham' by John Beckett which is the introductory essay in 'A City in the Making Drawings of Tom Hammond'.