St Stephen's Road
About this image
The present Church is the fifth on the site. The earliest Church dates from before 1655. The second Church opened in 1790, the third (brick) in 1810, the fourth in 1839 and the fifth dedicated in 1912 (chancel, nave and transepts were built between 1909 and 1912). The rebuilt of the church in 1839, which cost £4,700, was from the designs of the celebrated architect Hickman, who was a member of the Society of Friends, but whose knowledge of ecclesiology was phenomenal. About the same time, considerable alterations were being carried out in St. Mary's Church, and to make way for new pews, the ancient seats were ejected from the chancel, where they had been in constant use since mediaeval times. Fortunately, their interest and beauty was recognised by the enlightened authorities of St. Stephen's Church, and some of them were placed in the chancel of the new church. D H Lawrence's parents were married here on 27th December 1875. This view shows the south side of the Church.