This image can be used commercially
Hine and Mundella's and Co. Hosiery Factory, Station Street c 1856
Nottingham City Council
About this image
Hine and Mundella's factory was completed in September 1851 and was the first to use steam to power the stocking frame. It had the latest technology, wide, spacious workrooms, good working conditions and was brightly lit by gas. The company paid well and sought good workmen who could use their brains to improve the manufacturing process so brilliantly improved by Mundella, MP, industrialist and a pioneer of workers rights. Hine and Mundella's Hosiery Factory was partially destroyed by fire on 1 February 1859. The factory later became Boots The Chemist's offices, see NTGM002649. Also note the cattle and sheep (possibly being herded by a drover towards the Cattle Market ?), and the Railway Station on the right.