About this image
In the picture are Kevan Smith, Mark Wright, Barry Wykes and either Martin Barber or Roy Bonsall. The line running through this tunnel provided an outlet from Kiveton Park Colliery onto the LMS line further west at Holbrook. The western portal of the tunnel was still visible c 1970, by which time the line had long been dismantled, and the western entrance may have been blocked up. The M1 motorway runs over the tunnel a few yards east of the site of the western entrance. The former NorwoodColliery is located astride the county boundary a short distance west of the tunnel. The railway bridge over the A618 road here was in situ until circa 1958. Originally this was a Midland Railway branch, when it may have served the first pit at Kiveton Park, called Kiveton West Colliery. The tunnel was known as 'Norwood End Tunnel' on the Midland Railway access from Killamarsh to Kiveton Park Colliery, opened in 1868 and closed in 1961. This tunnel, along with the Norwood Canal Tunnel on the Chesterfield Canal (which runs parallel a few yards to the south), was blocked under the boundaries of the M1 motorway, when that was built (in about 1968). It can be seen from the picture that the brickwork of the tunnel has been supported by 'rail rings', no doubt because of mining subsidence. Because of landscaping, there is now no visible sign of either end of this tunnel, 29_12_2006.