About this image
Clowne had two railway stations, one built by the Midland Railway Co. (right), the other, by the Lancashire and East Coast Co. (on the left). The North Midland Railway reached Clowne by 1888 with the opening of the Clowne and Mansfield branch off the Staveley line. Both lines are no longer with us, but the site of the LDECR trackway became the Linear Park. The track of the ex-Midland Railway line still exists, albeit heavily overgrown. The old Midland station clock which is, oddly enough, an LDECR one (!) and came here from Fledborough Station, is still in existance and attached to the side of Station House. The Midland Railway station building still exists as does the old booking office, on North Road. The picture here shows a building on the far right above the bridge. This was the Chapel on North Road, which was demolished c2000.